- When you think of your own funeral service, what comes to mind? A small gathering of your loved ones, or more of a big party celebrating your life?
- What songs or special readings would you like included?
- Do you have specific people in mind to participate? Perhaps to give a eulogy?
- What are your thoughts on traditional burial versus cremation?
- If you prefer burial, where would you like to be buried?
Many New Yorkers may find themselves surprised by their own strong opinions when considering end-of-life arrangements. Here at Woodlawn Cemetery, we’ll make sure these wishes and preferences become a reality.
- You can take your time thinking through your options. After a death, most funerals are put together quickly by the family as they are experiencing heightened emotions. Those closest to the person who died gather to sort through the 100+ decisions that need to be discussed. When you make many of these decisions yourself ahead of time, you have the luxury of considering each element. This includes the personal details that might get overlooked if someone else plans your funeral.
- You can ease your family’s stress. Many families we talk with here in the Bronx tell us they were caught off guard by their reaction after a loved one’s death. There’s no way to predict how a death will affect you – and the grief process is often much more challenging than expected. Imagine your family trying to figure out what you would have wanted at your funeral. They probably would not agree on every detail, which can lead to conflict as each person thinks they know best. When these decisions are already made, you can eliminate the need for your family to debate, discuss, and guess what you would have wanted. Think of how much easier it will be on your family if the funeral plans are already in place.
- You will be in control of the finances. There is a common misconception that if you choose to preplan, you also have to prepay. At Woodlawn Cemetery, that is not the case. If you prefer, we can simply save all of your preferences for when the time comes. There are advantages to prepaying, including taking the burden of paying for the service from your family’s shoulders. It’s common knowledge that those who are grieving often throw caution to the wind and spend more during times of duress. This won’t be an issue if your decisions are already in place.
- Your information will be easily accessible. We’ve heard many stories about a loved one who left end-of-life directions in their will or a safe deposit box – but these were not opened or read until after the funeral. When you preplan, you can have confidence your wishes will be available when needed.
- You will have peace of mind knowing your preferences will be honored. Because we will keep a detailed list of all your plans on file at no cost, you can walk away relieved that your arrangements are exactly as you envisioned.
Like with so many other parts of life, a little planning now pays off later. Whether you’d feel more comfortable with a large funeral or a smaller, private service, whether you prefer traditional burial or cremation, your preferences will be followed. In all our years helping New Yorkers preplan, no one has ever regretted putting their arrangements in place.
Whether you’ve already decided on Woodlawn, or you’re still weighing your options, we invite you to visit our grounds and tour our facilities to learn more about your cremation and memorialization options. Our team can also show you The Woolworth where families and friends can host a memorial service.
Please contact our Family Services Associates to plan your visit today. You can even schedule a meeting by filling out our simple online form. We’re here to make sure your arrangements are carried out exactly as you wish when the time comes.